|The inspiration. But what do you mean "no disintegrations"?|
This was the reason I didn't want to do any modifications to it, because of it's collectable value, no one knows how many unmodified and fine-condition Deluxes exist anymore. The helmet was good sized for me and even the paintjob could've been "good enough" but the visor inaccuracy made the upgrade clear as I finally realized what was wrong with the helmet. It creates a whole another kind of look and effect when the visor is deeper in the helmet.
A new helmet then. I recently purchased a BM helmet from TDH's sale area Cargo Hold. This one was in mint condition except the important Dent detail had been exchanged into a bit more accurate (I think) one from American promaker FP. I love the BM's durable finish and the opportunity of getting prepping and painting it immediately without need to do a whole lot of cleaning first. I was very happy with the acquisition. Just a tiny flaw; the other cheek and mandible courve seem to be warped a tiny bit, I need to figure out a way to straighten it somehow or then just leave it as it is.
I have to admit, I was scared sithless to start painting this helmet!! The armor was child's play compared to the complexity of a layered Empire Strikes Back-themed paintjob. For the painting project I hunted down every template I could get and then compared these to each other and some of the pro paintjobs I had seen. Now that I have already started painting I can't believe how skilled and precise these master painters are, as it seems impossible to replicate every little scratch and chipping detail, yet they do. Hats off to them, crazy.
This was my first go at painting a helmet and I tried to do it as well as I possibly could, with the time and resources at hand.
|This is how the helmet was pictured in it's original sales thread. Mine!|
|Going greenside with Vallejo Panzer Olive and some bone color highlights!|
|Side angle. Battle damage was pre-weathered with Devlan mud brown.|
|Peeling off the masking, the best part!|
|Another shot with a bit different camera settings.|
|The menacing leer... It's there even without the visor. Still looks so wrong without the black cheeks. ESB all the way!|
|The famous Dent.|
|Hit it with black and BOOM, badass ESB look achieved! Still miles to go with the finishing but now it's already visible where we're going.|
|Cheeks are still unweathered, some darker shading will blend the green and black cheek areas better into each other. I think when everything else is ready, I'll give the helmet a couple of thin, dark washes to tone everything down a bit.|
|More scratches still need to be scraped to achieve the final look. The grey areas on the green cheeks need to be added topically as I missed them on the first go.|
|After I had carefully covered the surrounding areas I painted the ear piece with Vallejo Fire red. Then I did the red damage masking.|
|Silver coat and new masking.|
|Green shade is Vallejo's Pale Green, that I shaded with Devlan mud in places.|
|The look with liquid masking removed. I then masked the ear piece to paint the white logo detail on.|
|Two layers of airbrush white and we're set.|
|Some more Devlan mud weathering and then I got to remove the rest of the masking.|
|Another ear piece, another silver undercoat.|
|Model Air bone color and some Gryphonne Sepia and Devlan Mud shading.|
|The Black & White details I did freehand with a brush.|
|Here's the thing on a display bust. As you can see, the rest of the armor green is a bit deeper colour.|
|Small rune details and stripes need to be added to the ear piece...|
|...and this side as well. Need to add some more chipping damage too!|
|"I'm sorry but I cannot hear you over the sound of how awesome I am..."|
|Rangefinder and ear pieces are not attached yet, but I put them together with blu-tac for the pics. The visor also has to be glued in place.|